It’s safe to say that most of the world is hoping that 2021 will be an improvement over 2020. The great news, however, is that regardless of outside circumstances, we all have a hand in our own lives and empowerment.
My 9 Pillars of Female Empowerment derive from over ten years’ experience of working with women and changing their lives for the better in my work as an entrepreneur, consultant, and personal trainer. These pillars are clustered in three main areas (Clarity, Connection, and Consciousness-Raising) but each can be digested individually, too, for a bite-sized chunk of much-needed empowerment (with accompanying resources) to get through the day, the week, and the start of this new year!
Part 1: CLARITY
INSIGHT: Insight and awareness into yourself and the world around you, framed by a Growth Mindset.
CONFIDENCE: True confidence stems from its sister, vulnerability.
- Write: What does being truly confident mean to you? What is one thing you can do to move toward that state today?
- Read: The Confidence Code: The Science and Art of Self-Assurance – What Women Should Know by Katty Kay and Claire Shipman
SUCCESS: The forming of positive habits (and the science behind how to do so), along with goal-setting, progress toward said goals using creative visualization techniques, and affirmations for personal empowerment, as well as the intrinsic understanding that the success of one woman benefits the collective.
Part 2: CONNECTION
POSITIVITY: Making a habit of turning negative thoughts, words, and actions into positive.
- Read: “The Beginner’s Guide to Changing Negative Thoughts”
- Try: Every single time you have a negative thought, block it and change it to something positive, even a word like “love” or “joy.” If you do this enough, it will become a habit!
COMMUNITY: The ability to build authentic interpersonal connections, robust networks, and empowered community, in both business and in your personal life.
- Ask: Who and/or what is your community? What’s one thing you can do to foster it every day?
BOUNDARIES: The most compassionate and empowered people both build and respect boundaries.
Part 3: CONSCIOUSNESS-RAISING
RESILIENCE: The ability to move forward and thrive in life even in the face of major challenges.
- Read Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakeable Core of Calm, Strength and Happiness by Dr. Rick Hanson
VOICE: Achieving empowerment comes from both speaking up and out, as well as listening actively.
MEANING: Altruism and its sister activism are the ultimate road to empowerment.