In unfortunate news for big box gyms, THIS survey of 10,824 gym members around the world, run on RunRepeat.com, reports a majority of former gym members won’t be reinstating their memberships.
Key Findings around the World
- Americans are the least likely to return to their gyms upon reopening (50.16%).
- Nearly half of all gym members globally will not return to their gyms upon reopening (46.67%).
- More than a third of all gym members globally have already canceled or are considering canceling their memberships (36.57%).
- Women are less likely to return to the gym when reopened (52.25%) in comparison to men (45.75%).
- The UK has the highest amount of gym memberships already canceled (18.92%).
- Australia had the highest amount of members who either already canceled or were considering canceling their memberships (41.15%).
Another, smaller study put forth by A Sweat Life (“State of Fitness 2020: Covid Remix) confirms that about half of people won’t reinstate gym memberships (or ClassPass) post-Covid, but in hopeful findings for the boutique fitness industry, a healthy majority (66%) will regularly attend a group fitness class.